Steighausplatz: The old Jewish cemetery
The old Jewish cemetery, located between the town wall and the Wetzbach embankment at the site of the earlier Silhof Gate, was used from the late 17th century up to the time of the new municipal cemetery, which was opened in 1881/1882. The last burial to be performed here was in 1900. There were about 300 gravestones, most of which were inscribed in Hebrew only. Only a few of those gravestones have been preserved. The gate to the cemetery is normally locked; however, a key can be borrowed from the Tourist Information Office for a refundable deposit fee.